About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Tracey Holden-Quinn has developed and written content for communications plans and websites, social media applications such as Facebook and Twitter, and blogs. She is experienced with conducting needs analysis, establishing goals, recommending and scheduling tactics and strategies, and evaluating results.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rule #5 - Avoid Extended, Unannounced Lapses in Posting

Not a day goes by that I’m not bothered by the fact that until yesterday, my last blog post was three weeks ago. For someone who is a perfectionist with OCD tendencies, this is nothing short of apocalyptic.

When I first started blogging I assumed it would be easy enough to meet the weekly deadlines. In fact at week six I had posted seven blogs and was ahead of the game. It was then that I decided to take a short break and do other things, like renovate my bathroom.

In the meantime, I continued to scan my RSS feeds. I noticed several blogs with tips and tricks on the art of blogging itself. There were blogs on how to stay motivated when blogging, blogs with ideas about what you can blog about, and even a blog titled “Blog Violently”. Although interesting, I didn’t think I was the type of person who needed reminders about staying on top of my commitments.

Week 10 rolls along; the bathroom is a mess, I’ve been overwhelmed completing major assignments for both of my classes, my psyche is fragile, I’m tired all the time, and I still sit at seven blogs!

I’ve learned a valuable lesson. If I make a commitment to do something using social media as part of my personal brand, it’s important to stay on top of demands on your time, plan ahead and always have a contingency plan. I now appreciate how difficult it must be for those who unfailingly post meaningful, well-written and insightful blogs on a daily basis.

Maintaining that level of commitment is not easy.  What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. It's not easy to keep it up and I think most people really don't understand just how difficult it can be.

I'm actually in the process of writing a blog myself. I know that coming up with fresh and new content regularly will be a challenge. I decided to develop a volume of content before launching the actual blog. At this point, I have about 13 different posts ready to go. I want to have at least 25 before I go live. I'll schedule deployment for 1 a week (at the same day and time every week). That way, I can deal with the crushing responsibility and pressure better. Having a bit of a buffer takes a load of my mind. Some days I can write 3-4 entries. Other times, I can go through a month long drought. It's about balance I suppose. Nice work on the blog Tracey! Keep it up. Michael O