About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Tracey Holden-Quinn has developed and written content for communications plans and websites, social media applications such as Facebook and Twitter, and blogs. She is experienced with conducting needs analysis, establishing goals, recommending and scheduling tactics and strategies, and evaluating results.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Why did you leave me? When did you leave me? Where was I when this happened?

In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, let’s talk about break-ups.

Social Media is about building honest, transparent relationships, but in the words of Jay Baer, "Clicking a “like” button one time isn’t exactly a blood oath...We are smothering our very best customers, asking them to hang out with us in every digital clubhouse we can devise. And the reality is, they just aren’t that into us."

We are on the precipice of a social media "revolution" while at the same time incurring the wrath of an audience scorned. Social Media practitioners could be killing their relationships with the very best of intentions. Some of us suffer from tunnel vision and use as many platforms, posts, or tweets as possible to express our feelings to our audience. We simply don’t want them to forget us! We need them to know that we think about them all the time.

How much do I love thee? Let me count the ways. On second thought, no.

 Over posting has been proven to drive Facebook fans away according to a study by ExactTarget and CoTweet. We are lucky if our consumers “unlike” us, as then we have a heads up that all is not well in our relationship. However, as Jay Baer points out, "consumers are cheating behind our backs and committing attention infidelity right under our noses." How? Deleting, ignoring, filtering, or going away all together and leaving behind ghost town accounts. Well, I never...

I for one vow that I will never take my Social Media relationships for granted; to always be honest and respect the fact that my audience does have other relationships and sometimes it's not all about me.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

No comments: